Supper

I ate prawns in the spicy crab emporium. Even
Though it’s just a short jump from multinational Causeway Bay,
My presence seemed to trigger some uncertainty. Speaking
Cantonese, a waiter offered hard-to-avoid advice.
Later, seeing a man eat a plate of finest spicy
Prawns without rice, a waitress brought back the menu to point
Out what she knew I was missing. Hong Kong’s beer of choice is
San Miguel, for no evident reason. I downed a drop,
Ate my prawns and rice. From out of a side room appeared a
Young man in a baseball cap, smoking, in spite of the u-
Biquitous ban. I looked at him and he glared back
At me. Later, he and two others left the side room, which
I deduced must be the Triad enclave. I escaped in
One piece and strolled back as close to the waterfront as I
Could, awed by the Asian Gotham, so full of frenetic
Vitality, seduced by the winking harbour lights.

No comments: